Sometimes on the way to a dream, we get lost and find a better one. If you are no longer a caregiver, for whatever reason, and you have been feeling a loss of purpose – then if you ever had a dream, now is the time to choose to make that dream come alive.
It happens for many reasons: the death of a spouse, time to transition a special needs child in the event of our own illness, passing the reigns to another family member and/or sometimes we just let go of the responsibilities because of affects on our own health. Whatever the case may be, take a few moments to think about what your dreams were before your caregiving role. What did they look like? What did you look like? What were your passions, hobbies and “bucket list”?
It is not too late to wish upon that star. Here are a few questions to help you get refocused on your own dreams:
- What enjoyable activity do you get so involved in that you frequently lose track of time?
- If you were given one week to spend any way you liked (and all your responsibilities were taken care of), what would you do?
- If you had to teach a class on any subject, what would it be?
- If you were given a check for $2000 and ordered to use it on something fun for yourself, what would you spend it on?
- If you were guaranteed a handsome salary no matter what, what would be your ultimate dream job?
- What do you do consistently in your free time simply because you enjoy it?
- What do you purposefully make time for not because you have to but because you want to?
- If money was not an issue, what activity would you spend time doing more regularly?
- What do people say you are good at and appreciate about you?
- What makes you over-the-top excited, angry or emotional?
- What kinds of books do you read, TV shows do you watch or blogs/websites do you visit?
- What’s your favorite hobby?
- What do you talk to your friends about?
- What do you talk to your friends about that they get tired of hearing?
Come back to the list after thinking about it for a few days.
If you have lost the one for whom you were a caregiver – and ever if you haven’t – you may find inspiration in this video.
Take a quiet moment and be honest with your answers. If this has helped you rediscover your dream, please share the dream with us on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/TheCaregiversJournal . #thecaregiversjournal